Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have teaching experience?

Although we prefer teachers who have classroom experience beyond student teaching, it is not required in every case depending on the host country visa requirements. While most organizations require a teacher to have at least two years of experience, Oasis is generally willing to invest the time and effort to help you get that experience. In return, we get energetic teachers with a teachable spirit and a willingness to learn. The final decision regarding staff placement is made by each school's administrator.

What type of curriculum is used?

We use a variety of American-based curricula. Each Oasis school has an administrative team and a curriculum committee that determines the best curriculum and resources for their school. Just like schools in the United States, the resources depend on the size of the school.

What will my employment status be?

You will be an employee of the school, but you will also be sent as an Oasis team member and will be required to meet those requirements before your contract will be issued.

Will I be paid a salary?

It depends on the school and the location. Oasis has three basic types of schools, Pioneer (Start-up), Transitional (Becoming an International school) and International (Established). While each school has different positive aspects that make it unique, the Pioneer and Transitional may require raising some partial financial support and the International schools will provide a salary. The salary is one that will allow you to live comfortably in that country. By comfortable we mean able to cover all living expenses (apartment, utilities, clothing, food, eating out a couple of times each week and still be able to save enough money to come home for Christmas or travel during the summer break).

What training does Oasis offer to new staff members?

Oasis requires its newly hired educators to attend an intense two-week training program called IMPACT. IMPACT takes place each year in late June/early July near the Oasis Home Office near Memphis, TN.

Do I have to speak the language of the country?

No. It is not necessary to know the language of your host country. In fact, most of our teachers only know English when they arrive. Knowing the language of the host country will help you in communicating in the local environment, but the parents of our students place their children in our schools primarily because our schools are an English speaking, American-style school. All of our students speak English, although English may not be their first language. If needed, students will receive ESL (English as a Second Language) support to assist them in their studies.

How is housing handled for teachers?

Most of our schools have apartments or houses located near the school that they rent on a continual basis. Administrators from the schools work with new staff to help them secure a place to live before they arrive. Married couples have their own apartment or house, while singles normally share an apartment with another single. Accommodations vary depending on the country.

Does Oasis offer Health Insurance?

Yes. We believe that health insurance is a necessity, so Oasis provides complete world-wide health coverage to all of its appointed team members and their families. In most cases, the schools pay for this cost. After a deductible is met, all staff members living outside of the United States are covered at 100%. While they are in the United States and Canada, they are covered as high as 90% if using the preferred network. NOTE: Individuals that are hired/classified as “Locally Hired Personnel” at each school are not offered the Oasis health insurance coverage.

What about my college loans?

Often the repayment of college loans may be deferred. Check with your lending institution to see if deferred payments are an option for you. Additionally, some Oasis schools offer assistance with college loan repayment after an individual completes their initial contract and re-signs for another term. Generally speaking, applicants with a college loan repayment in excess of $200 per month should consider paying their debt down before attempting to serve overseas. Of course, each situation is different, and applicants are encouraged to discuss this with the school director during the interview process. Lastly, new hires may elect to use their school-paid salary to pay off college loan debt, and may raise financial support through Oasis to cover living expenses while serving overseas.

Is Teacher Certification required?

Because most of our schools are accredited or are in the accreditation process, they must maintain a high ratio of certified teachers who are teaching in their area of certification. However, if you have a Bachelor’s degree in a specialized field (Engineering, Nursing etc.) from an American university you may be able to get a temporary certificate and be placed in a school with a high certification ratio as long as you are working on classes that will lead to a more permanent certificate. This is managed on a case-by-case basis.

Will I need to raise financial support?

Many of our positions are fully salaried. Usually families will need to raise some support depending on the size of your family and the location that you choose.
If you have any other questions or would like more information about raising financial support, please do not hesitate to contact us. Each year we help over 100 new team members and families move overseas and rarely does anyone not make it to their assignment because of a lack of funding.

If I raise financial support, will Oasis help process these funds?

Yes. We will handle all receipting, tracking and acknowledgement of donations for you from the time of your appointment and throughout your time of service with Oasis.  A small administrative fee is deducted for expenses associated with this service.

Is my transportation included?

Some Oasis schools may provide a transportation benefit, but many do not. Usually, through financial gifts from your family and friends the costs of transportation may be greatly reduced or eliminated altogether.

Do the schools follow a calendar similar to the United States?

Yes. Most schools will normally will start in August and finish in May or June. The length of Christmas holidays and summer breaks and other holidays will vary.

How long does the hiring process take?

You will normally receive word two to three weeks after we have received your completed application packet and references, depending on the time of the year. We will do everything possible to screen your application and arrive at a decision in a timely manner; however, there are many factors that may impact each school director’s hiring timeline. The majority of positions are posted in early December for the following year and most directors are looking to finish staffing their schools by February or March, if possible.

I have children. Can they attend the Oasis school?

Absolutely! Your children deserve the best possible education, and we welcome them into our schools. Best of all, children of appointed Oasis team members will attend the school tuition free! NOTE: The school may extend this tuition benefit to children of “Locally Hired Personnel,” but it is not required by the organization.

What is the usual length of a teacher’s contract with an Oasis school?

Most schools and most positions will require an initial two-year minimum contract. Once the initial contract is completed, many schools will sign contracts with staff on a year-by-year basis. NOTE: On occasion, a director may allow an initial one-year contract if there are special circumstances involved.

What makes an Oasis school different from a national school or an “English Language Institute” overseas?

There are quite a few differences. While some national schools or English language institutes may have a strong focus on English-language acquisition, an Oasis school is an English-speaking school in totality. National schools may hire individuals without an education background who have an ESL or TESOL certificate, but Oasis schools are seeking faculty members with education degrees and teacher certification (even to fill ESL positions within member schools).