JOB DESCRIPTION – LIBRARIAN
This vibrant school in East Asia is located in a large metropolitan area with a mild climate. It has a large student body and serves the children of expatriates from over 25 countries. Like all other OASIS schools, it is regionally accredited and offers a solid, college preparatory curriculum. The school follows an American school calendar starting in mid-August and ending in early June.
The elementary school offers a full program of electives including foreign language, music, library, physical education, art, English for Language Learners, and computers. After school clubs include reading, ballet, soccer, drama, foreign language, orchestra, and much more. Every spring students participate in a service learning project in order to invest in the community.
The middle school serves grades 6-8 and provides a safe homeroom environment focused on core classes and project-based learning. Additionally, the high school offers AP classes, sports, drama, student government and other service learning activities.
They are looking for qualified teachers, who are well prepared academically, as well as being caring individuals who focus on the needs of the students in their classrooms. Teachers who have a heart for children and a desire to see them grow intellectually, socially, and physically will find this an ideal place to work. The faculty becomes part of a true community.
Create a positive learning environment that reflects love. Provide an institution that is supportive of every student and professional in every aspect. The school affects student learning through mastery of the subject material by utilizing valid teaching techniques.
The Librarian will run the library which includes ordering, cataloging and shelving books and audio/visual equipment as well as managing those individuals assigned to work in the Library. The Librarian will also teach elementary school students one period per week by class and is encouraged to select age appropriate books that trigger worldview discussions. The Librarian will implement the software to help facilitate cataloging and managing community check-in, check-out of resources.
- A Bachelor's degree in Library Science preferred, or related experience
- Classes and/or trainings in library management
- Experience working with students and teaching elementary students
- As a teacher must have experience doing lesson plans and classroom management, handling discipline proactively
- Ability to clearly communicate to parents, students, and vendors
- Experience managing student workers
- Experience in ordering supplies domestically and internationally
- Demonstrates a high level of computer literacy, having a basic proficiency in word processing, e-mailing, and accessing the internet
- Displays a consistent Positive testimony among his/her family and peers
A school employee…
- Is a strong Positive witness to families, students, colleagues and outside community.
- Carries out the mission, vision, and objectives of the school in a manner that is honoring.
- Demonstrates genuine care and operates in a respectful manner in relationships with teachers, colleagues, students, and parents.
- Contributes to the overall safety and improvement of the school.
- Demonstrates the character qualities of enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility, integrity, kindness, self-control, perseverance, and punctuality.
- Develops and maintains rapport with faculty, staff, students, and parents by treating others with friendliness, dignity, and consideration.
- Exhibits professionalism in service to students, in supporting school policies and regulations, in leading activities, and in decision making; and is a student advocate.
- Functions properly under time constraints and performs well under pressure.
- Maintains a personal appearance that is a role model of cleanliness, modesty, good taste, and in agreement with school policy.
- Meets everyday stress with emotional stability, objectivity, and optimism.
- Models professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, administration, and community.
- Must be able to think quickly and act appropriately in emergency situations.
- Participates in school/divisional/departmental meetings, curriculum development, and efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines and honoring schedules.
- Reflects and makes adjustments routinely to ensure that duties are all performed effectively, seeking improvement throughout the time employed.
- Strives to understand and appreciate the local culture and demonstrate cultural sensitivity to the local and school community.
- Supports the broader program by attending extra-curricular events when possible.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Maintains library, including books, computerized catalogues, periodicals, and equipment.
- Maintains a clean, attractive, well-ordered Library and office.
- Must ensure that the work environment in the Library is nurturing, wholesome, and loving.
- Purchase new books, DVD’s, magazines, and supplies for the library as funds are available.
- Take care of all check-out, check-in, cataloguing and shelving of books.
- Select from the books donated to the school those which are to be included in the library.
- Supervise all library assistants and volunteer parents working in the library.
- Sends out overdue notices and collect fines.
- Assists teachers and students in finding books and materials in specific subject areas.
- Chairs the “I Love to Read Month” Reading Challenge Annually.
- Maintains a book order program for students to purchase reading books. (Scholastic)
- Stays abreast on the latest research and technology in the field of Library Science.
- Teach students how to utilize the library.
- Establish times for the use of the library by all classes and the school Community.
- Has knowledge of the school’s curriculum and standards.
- Integrate positive principles and the likeminded worldview when teaching.
- Introduce classes in primary grades to a variety of literature genre through read-aloud times each week with a focus on sharing truth.
- Liaise with secondary teachers to assist in the teaching of and development of research skills among all the students enrolled in the secondary program.
- Must be able to respond politely to Customers.
- Oversee a committee of teachers and administration that deals with books whose contents have been questioned.
- Able to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences.
- Able to work in a close-knit team environment.
- Accept responsibility for other assigned duties deemed necessary by the Elementary Principal for the operation of the school.
Specific duties for the Librarian’s teaching assignment will be assigned by the Elementary Principal.
REPORTS TO AND SUPERVISED BY: Elementary Principal
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Salaried, 12 months, 1 year initial contract, renewed annually.
EVALUATED: by the Elementary Principal