JOB DESCRIPTION – ELL Teacher
In August 2018, Kunming International Academy started its 25th year of serving the expatriate children of Kunming. Currently the school has about 300 students, from Kindergarten-3-year-old through grade 12 and our student population is made of about 50% whose parents work with NGO’s and other types of charities. Currently we have about 40 teachers from 13 different countries.
We are an “American-based” school, with some “international characteristics”. Each student from grade 1 through 10 is required to take Mandarin language. We also “internationalize” our social studies classes and are considering the adoption of an international math program. It is still American with students taking the MAP test in K through grade 8 and PSAT in grades 9-11, and SAT in grades 11 – 12. Since we have many students who are non-native English speakers, a full ESL program from grade 1 – 10 is in place to serve them. I addition, KIA offers 19 AP courses with 10 of them being site based.
KIA is fully accredited through Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and it is required that all foreign teachers hold a valid teaching certificate or license. Please visit our website at http://www.kia-china.org .
Kunming is located in southern China. Although at 25 degrees north latitude (about the same as the tip of Florida and a bit south of Cairo, Egypt) it is very temperate because of its elevation (6,200 feet / 2,000 meters). Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, is a moderate sized city in China with an urban population of about 7.2 million. The area is known for its tea and the many “nationalities”. (“Nationalities” are the indigenous people of China.)
Although living in China has a few hardships, it is very rewarding. After the period of transition of learning where to buy items, where the good restaurants are and how to get around the city, by taxi, bus, or bikes, Kunming is truly a comfortable place to live. The school provides Mandarin language lessons to help you with developing language where it’s much easier to be more independent. There’s such simplicity to life here; it gives us more time to focus on relationships.
Job Summary/ Objective: Teaching ELL. The purpose is to interact with expatriate students to foster the growth of personal character, relational skills, content mastery and the learning processes within a safe, caring environment
- Plans, organizes and structures instructional activities based on knowledge of students regarding characteristics of age group, their varied approaches to learning, prior skills and knowledge, and interests and cultural heritage.
- Is well prepared and on time for each class with lesson plans and needed resources.
- Establishes a culture for learning in which enthusiasm for the content is visible, students take pride in their work, and high expectations for student achievement are set.
- Reflects and adjusts one’s teaching to ensure the accurate assessment of lesson effectiveness and the improvement of future instruction.
- Facilitates active learning experiences using effective and varied teaching strategies at an appropriate pace. Strategies to support effective learning include questioning, discussion, cooperative learning, simulations/games, stations, and using a variety of medium and technology.
- Assigns students work that is clear, worthwhile, and appropriate. Communicates clear due dates and grading/evaluation methods.
- Establishes and communicates clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Ensures that all students are taught at their level through the use of differentiated instruction.
- Creates a classroom environment exhibited by genuine caring and respectful relationships between teacher and student and between peers.
- Organizes the physical space and resources of the classroom to ensure safety, maximize learning, and make learning equally accessible to all students.
- Uses a balance of formative and summative student assessments to determine students’ needs and provides useful feedback for students in a timely manner.
- Bachelors degree or higher from an accredited institution
- At least two years of successful teaching experience
- Single subject teaching credential or certification if teaching a specialized subject
- Relevant teaching experience
- Knowledge of relevant technology